Never forget the fight. Celebrate the future with equal rights for all to strike back!
A disability grant is a grant that is given to persons that have a physical or mental disability that makes it difficult or impossible to work full time such as children and physically or mentally disabled persons. A permanent disability grant is given if your disability will affect you for longer than a year. A temporary disability grant is given if your disability will last for more than six...
View details ⇨
According to the constitution, every citizen has the right to health care. This includes physical and mental health. The constitution says that you should have access to basic health care services including reproductive health, emergency services, basic health care for children, and medical services for detained persons and prisoners.
Unfortunately, some social workers are fraudsters that will try to make you believe that you are not doing your duty as a foster parent and demand that you pay the grant back directly to the social worker. Watch out! The grant you receive is yours as long as the child is in your care and you don’t have to pay it back or to anyone else. #StaySmart
If you foster a child with a disability, you are entitled to a care dependency grant from the government. This grant is given to caregivers of a child with special needs. The cover stretches from birth until the child turns 21.
Naledi* was shocked to find her home of 40 years demolished after the owner of the property sold it to a developer without any warning. A few months before this happened, the owner promised to pay Naledi the amount of R300 000 to relocate to another place as he was considering selling the property, but this never happened and no court order was issued indicating that Naledi’s house would be...
View details ⇨
Comment with your legal questions below and our lawyers will assist!
Do you need answers for your legal questions, but don’t have access to a lawyer? Then join SunDefender and Scorpion Legal Protection for a live Q&A session tomorrow, 2 March, where we answer your legal questions so you can strike back legally!
A court order is an instruction written by a Judge/Magistrate – usually in the form of a legal document – telling someone what they can or cannot do. The court order is issued if a party goes to court and asks to have this instruction written against someone.
If the person renting your extra room hasn’t been paying, they are in breach of contract, and you may be able to get a court order to evict him or her. Just make sure you #StaySmart and follow the correct legal steps.
Law enforcement officers are required to have identification and it should be visible. This means that their names should be on their uniforms and their badges should be visible. If you are approached by the police, you have the right to ask for identification to make sure that the person talking to you is really an officer of the law.
Your landlord wants to evict you but you weren’t served any notice and your rent is up to date. AZIKHIPHI! That’s not on! Your landlord has the right to evict you if you are in breach of contract, but only after the right procedures were followed. The law says that you should first receive notice and if you don’t act on it, the landlord can go to court for a court order to evict you. Talk to...
View details ⇨
Rescission of court order is when a court order is cancelled on the grounds specified by the court. The court will grant a rescission of judgment if the application shows sufficient, or good cause. For example: If you have a judgment against you and you have paid up your debt, you can apply for a rescission of judgment to have it removed from your credit record.
If you are under debt review, you are not allowed to make any more debt during that time. If you do take on more debt, your whole plan to repay your debts will be cancelled and your creditors can take action against you. Let the debt review process help you to pay off your debt before you make any more debt e.g. a lay-by purchase. #StaySmart

*Please note: This is not financial advice. Please...
View details ⇨
If a debt collector gives you a document to sign, but you don’t understand or agree with what it says, you have the right to refuse to sign. Only sign after you understand everything written in the document and once you are satisfied with the terms. Speak to your lawyer to explain the terms to you and help you negotiate better terms. #StaySmart

*Please note: This is not financial advice. This...
View details ⇨
When you get your payslip and see that a garnishee order has been placed on your salary without anyone telling you about it – AZIKHIPHI! That’s not on! A garnishee order can only be placed on your salary if the proper legal process was followed. A letter of demand has to be sent out, summons should be issued, and the judgement from the court should be that the order can be actioned. If this...
View details ⇨
If you apply for debt counselling, it is important to remember that it’s not free. The following fees are payable by you if you qualify for debt counselling:
Application fee: R50
Rejection fee (if you don’t qualify): R300
Debt counsellor’s fee: max R6 000
After-care fees: max R400 for 24 months
For more information on debt counselling fees, contact the Debt Counsellors Association of South...
View details ⇨