Over the last few months, we have been converting the silent notes on the pages of our extensive sheet #music collection into sound. At last month's Sound Heritage Sydney symposium participants heard a sample of songs from the Rouse Hill House & Farm collection dating between the 1830s and the 1870s.
Hear the talented James Doig (voice and piano) perform ‘I Love Thee Still’ (183?) by... View details ⇨
We’ve been busy developing a great program of talks and demonstrations for our upcoming Autumn Harvest at Rouse Hill House & Farm on Sunday 28 May. Led by food writer Barbara Sweeney and featuring experts including our own colonial gastronomer Jacqui Newling and curator Scott Hill, Anthia Koullouros of Ovvio Organics and Ankit Chopra of Eat Me Chutneys, you can hear about Rouse Hill House &... View details ⇨
In celebration of National Archaeology Week, we wanted to share some interesting facts from the excavations at our Hyde Park Barracks Museum site.
Over the years we have discovered 120,000 artefacts with approximately 80% of these objects left behind by women of the Female Immigration Depot, the Hyde Park Asylum for aged and destitute women and courts and government offices. The other 20%... View details ⇨
Self-proclaimed ‘henpreneur’ Dave Ingham of Dave’s Rent-a-chook is an advocate for backyard chickens – they’re low-maintenance and eco-friendly, turn your kitchen scraps into garden manure and provide fresh, free range eggs year-round.
Meet Dave at our Autumn Harvest on Sunday 28 May at Rouse Hill House & Farm and find out how easy it is to introduce and maintain happy, healthy hens in your... View details ⇨
Anyone have a convict ancestor with the initials 'B. A.'?
Just in time for National Archaeology Week, we have made a new discovery about convict clothing from the Hyde Park Barracks #archaeology collection. Recent conservation cleaning of textiles recovered from the main building has revealed two letters stamped on a scrap of convict shirt, for the first time illustrating a government order... View details ⇨
Attention all green thumbs! We’ve launched a new blog - and you’re going to love it. From basic plant information, gardening techniques and tips, through historic vs contemporary understanding of gardens, to what’s currently in bloom at our sites.
There’s plenty to share, so take some time out and dig your way through this abundance of garden-inspo!
Yesterday we celebrated the amazing work of our volunteers at our annual volunteer's morning tea. Every day our wonderful and hard working team of volunteers help us to bring our #museums and #stories to life and we are so grateful! #nationalvolunteerweek
Photo: David Swift / James Horan Photography PTY LTD for Sydney Living Museums
We are excited to announce our new partnership with the University of Southampton and the Royal College of Music as part of a three-year research project exploring domestic music and heritage in the Georgian home.
The project, 'Music, Home, and Heritage: Sounding the Domestic in Georgian Britain' will be led by Principal Investigator Professor Jeanice Brooks (University of Southampton) and... View details ⇨
For one day only, shop from a handpicked selection of products from Greater Sydney’s finest artisan producers, including Ovvio Organics, Millas Cordials, Cornersmith, Bilpin Bush Honey, CWA Castle Hill, Eat Me Chutneys and many more.
Learn about food sustainability with expert talks and hands-on demonstrations, plus discover the convict built Rouse Hill House, farm animals and outbuildings... View details ⇨